Friday, March 1, 2013

Reaching, Branching, Calling Out

And so the hunt for stories begins. As I mentioned in my last post, I sent out battalion of emails to teachers all over America. I wasn't sure if I would get a response but I thought, "better at least try!"

To my surprise and joy, I happened to email one of the sweetest teachers from New Orleans, Louisiana. She's offering her classes extra credit if they submit a story to me, which is more than I could ever ask for. Her students struggle with writing though so I am interested to see what kind of stories I will receive from them, if any.

Her email brought hope that this project might actually work. She was the only one to respond to me out of the first batch of emails I sent though. I have since out two more batches of emails in the last week so let's hope I hear from one of those teachers.

I haven't asked around locally yet however. I will contact local high schools next week and post my submission form on Facebook so my friends can submit if they want to. The pitch is also coming up and still have to figure out what I am going to say in my presentation. I want to think up of a simple way to present the concept yet also peak people's interest in my project.

I'm starting to worry that I won't get a lot of stories from other states, but I think I can at least muster up a sufficient amount of stories from FVHS students. It's not my ideal project, but not everything can be perfect.

To explain my picture, I came across this quote on the lovely site Pinterest, which is the site I go to for inspiration for just about everything. I didn't know what my real motive was for choosing this as my project. I knew I wanted to do something to help my fellow students but I realized the true reason when reading this: I wanted to read a book like this. I wanted to read the stories that people would submit to me to see what kinds of things other students have to go through, so voila! Mystery solved. Thank you Toni Morrison and Pinterest.

No comments:

Post a Comment